Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tsunami Alert

While running errands in Kushiro city yesterday we took a break and had a snack in our car. The warm sunshine shining through our windshield, and the view of flags blowing in wind and little girls laughing and playing in the snow on their walk home from school was enough to distract us from the wave-like 'dance moves' our car was making. As the girls passed and the movement continued, we realized that we were experiencing an earthquake!

Since living here in Hokkaido, I've experienced a mini quake about once a month. But this one in our car was the longest one I had ever felt.

Once the earth stopped moving, we headed to the bookstore to feel two more tremors. Not enough power to have books tumble off the shelves but enough to have the hanging lights and signs above our heads to swing...Enough to get us and a few other concerned customers out of the store.

As we waited in the parking lot we heard loud speaker announcements that Tomohiro translated to be...This is a tsunami alert. Get away from the coast. Go to higher ground. Go into the closest shopping mall.

So we headed home, which is inland, all the while listening to updates on our car radio. We found out that the earthquake happened in the Pacific Ocean about 125 kilometers from Miyagi Prefecture which is on the northeastern coast of Honshu - The main island of Japan.

We too live in Northeastern Japan but on the northernmost island of Hokkaido.

I received many e-mails today with the subject...Are you OK?
I responded with...We are fine!

After going to our landowners' home last night and watching television footage of the destructive tsunami in 'northeastern' Japan, I understood why family and friends were so worried about us.

Thanks for your concern everyone.

The evacuation alerts in Kushiro were a precaution and hardly any damage was done aside from some flooding in areas closest to the fisherman's wharf.

Please keep our neighbours in northern Honshu in your prayers. And we will do the same.


Miyagi prefecture is in north eastern Honshu (the main island of Japan)



You can see here that Hokkaido is the northernmost Island of Japan. Quite far from where the earthquake happened.
Much love from Hokkaido.

t

2 comments:

Marsha said...

My heart goes out to everyone suffering in the tragedy following the earthquake/tsunami.

Still, I have not been able to take my mind off the Dancing Cranes that live in the Kushiro Marshes.

Wildlife sometimes takes a huge hit in these calamities. I was so taken by the cranes that I created a mini website a few years ago for them you will find at

www.blisswing.net/snoglo/

I've searched the Internet for two days and found nothing until I came across your blog.

If you have any more information on that area I'd be interested in knowing about it. You can reach me on my website's contact page.

Thank you Kushiro city blogger for inadvertently giving me an answer.

Marsha
California

tam... said...

Hello Marsha from California. Thanks for your comment. I will check out your link and contact you soon.

And I will write more about the beautiful cranes of this area in the near future.

t