Sunday, July 26, 2009

Makoto and the Band!


Some fun news...

Last night I performed with a band!!!! We did a road trip to Obihiro
(a city 2 hours drive away).

It was sooo much fun! I even sang "Honky Tonk Woman" with a Yukon theme:

...I laid a trapper man in Dawson City....

great to change up the lyrics this way.

...Sure hope the Rolling Stones don't mind.

Makoto sang and wowed us all with his amazing guitar playing and there were drums, bongos, bass guitar, banjo, electric piano and would you believe a didgeridoo too.

Another favourite I sang last night was Rivers of Babylon...a song written and recorded by Brent Dowe and Trevor McNaughton of The Melodians in 1972...Who knew!

Our car cassette player only knew the Boney M version that it cranked out on family road trips some thirty years ago!!!!! Was it ever great belting this tune out to a funky disco beat. I think you would have all been up dancing and singing along for sure!!!

So let the words of our mouths
and the meditation of our hearts
be acceptable in thy sight here tonight!



t

2 comments:

bulent said...

hey tam
are you being a popstar in japan????
what does it mean honky tonk woman by the way???

let me guess...
honky for hungary
tonk for topless
so it makes hungary topless woman
( I knew i have a secret talent for japanese)
so your hit song is hungary topless woman ....::))))congratulations to you and your band....

tam... said...

Bulent...I will base your guess on the fact that you are a Turkish man living in Russia...and you had a few vodka before writing this comment! Yes? ;)

Thanks for your question.

Honky Tonk Woman is not Japanese. It is a song that was written and recorded by the Rolling Stones in 1969.

So what is a honky tonk woman? I checked out the meaning of honky tonk on Wikepedia.

A honky tonk (also called a honkatonk, honkey-tonk, or tonk) is a type of bar with musical entertainment that is common in the Southwestern and Southern United States. The term has also been attached to various styles of 20th-century American music.

So I guess a honky tonk woman is a woman who either sings this kind of music or frequents this kind of bar. Just my guess now.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, Bulent.

t

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honky_tonk