Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day Surprise

Yesterday for us would have been "Boxing Day" in Canada. Luckily we did not do the gift thing so nothing needed to be exchanged or returned. Even so, Christmas was over and I was feeling a little sad thinking that I would soon be putting away the many Christmas cards I had received in the mail. That feeling didn't last long because the door bell rang and there stood a delivery man with a gift box in his hand addressed to me! It was from our friend from Nagano Japan.

As this was the one and only box I opened this Christmas season...the anticipation about what was inside was intensely magnified. I pulled off the tape almost ceremoniously and was ecstatic to reveal the contents of numerous boxes of chocolates and candies, special soba noodles and mochi(pounded rice) for the New Year's celebration and even a card that opened up into a Christmas tree and when the button was pushed...played Christmas carols!

The lovely woman who put this package together probably had no idea the impact it would have on me as I received and opened her gift on this Boxing day so far away from home.

Merry belated Chrismtas Everyone. I hope the spirit of Christams is alive and well in all of your hearts.

No comments: